Here is a great paragraph from a past issue of the Jim Rohn newsletter:
“I picked up a magazine not long ago in New York that had a full-page ad in it for a hotel chain. The first line of the ad read, “We do not teach our people to be nice.” Now that got my attention. The second line said, “We hire nice people.” I thought, “what a clever shortcut!” ”
The title of that article was “Don’t Send Your Ducks to Eagle School.” I remember Jim Rohn saying that in a live event I attended almost 18 years ago when I first started my network marketing career. I didn’t fully grasp what he meant at the time.
Not everyone is going to have success in this business. I have to admit, I have had a bit of a struggle with this one all through my career. I’m over 18 years in my network marketing career and I have seen a LOT of distributors come and go. Some were friends who saw my success and wanted it for themselves, others were friends I met through the process of being their sponsor or upline. I often want success for them more than they want it themselves.
I guess it’s because I have come through hard financial times and network marketing was the solution for me. My network marketing business gave me freedom to work from home and not have to worry about where the money was coming from or how we were going to make ends meet. The best part is that I am not tied to any schedule. I can do whatever I want whenever I want. Because of that, I want others to experience freedom of time and finances.
When I saw the headline in the latest Jim Rohn newsletter, I had to chuckle a bit. Sometimes, in our desire to help people we care about, we expect them to be network marketing eagles. We want them to be eagles because we want success for our friends. Frankly, some will never be network marketing eagles.
As Jim Rohn said, “Good people are found not changed. They can change themselves, but you can’t change them. You want good people, you have to find them. If you want motivated people, you have to find them, not motivate them.”
It may sound harsh but you can’t change people. A duck will never become an eagle. Even eagles may not seem like eagles in the beginning. They need to LEARN to fly. The point is, the network marketing eagle has certain qualities that others do not have, motivation and willingness to learn are on top of the list.
I used to wonder how I would find those eagles but experience has taught me, the eagles will show themselves. You will see a lot of people come through your pipeline if you are actively building your business. Every month I sponsor several people. The eagles show themselves in what they do.
Network Marketing Eagle Traits
- They are interested in learning from others who have done it. They seek out leaders and find out what they have done to have their level of success. They gather with other eagles to learn eagle traits. This is accomplished by attending events, conference calls talking on the phone with upline leaders and any way possible to learn eagle traits. Even reading emails and articles like this one is in indication that you are a network marketing eagle. The ducks don’t read emails from their team leaders. They either don’t bother to subscribe or they delete because they don’t have the time.
- They are motivated to succeed and they are workers. Everyone has their own pace but the network marketing eagle is moving forward, making progress every day. They don’t let setbacks stop them from their goal.
- They take the initiative. They are not waiting for upline to do it all for them. They pick up the phone and call upline leaders who can guide them. They make themselves known as a serious business builder: an EAGLE!
- Eagles have great vision. The network marketing eagle also has vision. They see what they want and are laser focused on getting it.
- Eagles do not waste time on dead things. They eat live animals. Don’t wast time in your network marketing career trying to pick at and wake up the dead distributors who are negative and will never do anything. It’s better to go out and find fresh new prospects.
- Eagles don’t let stormy times get them down. While some birds fly away from a storm, an eagle will fly into it and adjust their wings to allow them to climb to greater heights. The network marketing eagle will take the stormy times and learn lessons that will make them fly higher in their business.
- Eagles nurture their young. Eagles are very gentle and attentive to their young ones. Network marketing eagles train and encourage their downline so that when they are ready, they can fly on their own.
You can develop these qualities. That’s a sign of an eagle.