“Believe passionately in what you do, and never knowingly compromise your standards and values. Act like a true professional, aiming for true excellence, and the money will follow.” – David Maister
We need to have the mindset and actions of a true professional if we intend to earn a serious income in the network marketing industry. The thing that puzzles me is that very few are acting like professionals. Many are really far from professional.
I have a copy of an article in my files that has the title, “Do You Just Show Up At Your Job and Expect to Get Paid?” The sad fact is that many treat their network marketing business just that way. They buy a distributor kit and they think that something will happen as if by osmosis. They may have bought into some amateur network marketer’s nonsense pitch about how there is no recruiting, no selling, we’ll do it for you. Both of these distributors are acting like amateurs.
6 Characteristics of Professional Network Marketers
Pros make extraordinary income because they consistently do what others won’t do
- 1. Show up every day and do what is necessary – They do the WORK even though they may not be in the mood. They take ACTION! Amateurs work when they feel like it.
- 2. Self-Starter – They don’t need their upline to call and inspire and motivate them. They don’t need their hand held. Amateurs wait for someone to inspire them.
- 3. Belief in what they are doing and the products and opportunity they represent. Amateurs don’t even use the products they are promoting.
- 4. Self-Educator – In any industry there is a learning curve. Professionals in any industry learn the ins and outs of their field. They stay up to date with the latest news and training. They are always learning and growing. Amateurs don’t want to be bothered with learning.
- 5. Responsible – They take responsibility for their own success or failure. They know. “If it is to be, It’s up to ME.” Amateurs blame their failure on the upline, the company, the economy, or a number of other excuses.
- 6. Invest in their Business – From buying and using products to training, advertising, supplies, etc. They invest time and money in their business. Amateurs don’t spend time or money on their business.
We need the mindset of a professional. Every morning, take a moment to think about and visualize yourself as a professional network marketer. What are you going to do TODAY that will move you forward in your business?
For the past three weeks a little bird has been flirting with his reflection in my office windows. He starts early in the morning and does this all day until dark. He flutters, he taps and he flirts with the bird that is his reflection. He even brings worms and tries to feed that bird he thinks he is flirting with.
As I watch this little bird I am amazed at how persistent he is. We can learn a couple things from this little bird.
Lesson 1. Even though what he is doing is not working, he keeps persistently trying again. Persistence is an extremely important quality we all need as business owners. We all have setbacks it’s what we do when those setbacks happen that will determine how successful we will be. Will we keep giving it another try or will we sit down and give up.
Here are a couple Napoleon Hill quotes on persistence:
“Lack of persistence is one of the major causes of failure.”
“Those who have cultivated the habit of persistence seem to enjoy
insurance against failure”
Lesson 2. If we are persistently doing the wrong thing, we will make no progress in our business. The little bird just won’t give up but he is never going to reach that bird in the reflection. It’s an illusion. In our business, we need to analyze what we are doing to make sure we are not persistently chasing an illusion.
4 Ways we could be chasing an illusion:
- Jumping from one network marketing company to another thinking if you move on you will have success in the next company. Sadly, I see this one all the time. People just don’t stick with one company. I realize that you might not find the right fit with the first company you are with but most people don’t even give it enough time to find out.
I stuck with my first network marketing company for 2 years before I decided it was not the right company for me. The company I am with today, I have been with for 14 years now.
- Thinking you will have success in your network marketing business without promoting your business. You will NOT have success if you don’t promote your business. It’s just that simple. You need to massively promote your business and I mean promote in the right way.
Think about how conventional businesses promote their business. They don’t make a list of 100 friends and family and hit them up. They do advertising and promotion. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you shouldn’t sell to your friends and family but there are simply better ways to do it than is often taught in “old school” network marketing.
Because of my shyness, I looked for ways to get my information out there and get people to come to me. That takes the SCARY out of marketing. I was always directing people to my web sites. I set up things for them to go through on my web sites. Things like newsletters, autoresponders, audios and ways to contact me. Now I also do videos and social media.
- Thinking internet marketing is a magic bullet – Many people are playing around online doing pretty much nothing but thinking they are building a business. You must be actively doing things online if you want success. Create valuable content that links to your website. You must do things to get your web site noticed. If you don’t promote your web site, it will be like an uncharted island in the ocean. No one will ever find it.
- Working on your business in a hit and miss fashion – Persistence means doing daily tasks in your business. Some days you will do more than other days but on those days when you can’t do much, you should always be doing a few basic tasks like checking email.
I had one woman call me and tell me she wanted to join my company under me because I was the only one who responded to her email out of 12 people she tried to contact to answer her questions. I was stunned when she told me that.
She had done a Google search and was looking for a good sponsor. These 12 people have web sites online but they aren’t acting like serious business people.
The list could go on but you get the idea. There are plenty of ways to learn good marketing skills and success mindset.
Be like a postage stamp and stick with it until you get there!
“To solve any problem, here are three questions to ask yourself: First, what could I do? Second, what could I read? And third, who could I ask?“ – Jim Rohn
I loved Jim Rohn. Even though he is gone, his pearls of wisdom will continue on and on.
That quote is so true, especially in network marketing. There are always plenty of upline who have been there and are usually willing to help someone in their downline who is serious about learning the business.
Learning the business involves taking responsibility and acting like a professional business person. Professional network marketers keep up with company news and upline mentor training. They subscribe to everything their upline leaders publish. There are always distributors in your upline who have built a successful business. These are people you can learn from. What did the successful distributors in your upline do to get to where they are in their business.
I realize I am preaching to the choir. If you are reading this, you are probably not one of the people I am talking about.
One thing that has baffled me over the years is the amount of distributors who say they want success in their business but they don’t keep up with company news and upline newsletters or conference calls. I must admit, this is one of the biggest pet peeves in my business. Many distributors don’t seem to want to spend time learning some basic skills that would help them build their business. They just think that all they need to do is set up a distributor account and then by osmosis or something they will be making big money.
If you are serious about being a professional network marketer, it is vital that you be as involved as you can in learning the business. Even though I have been in the network marketing industry for over 16 years, I am still learning.
Find out who in your upline have training materials and newsletters and subscribe to them. There are also loads of training from people who have experience. I highly recommend the Home and Small Business Network for awesome training for any type of home or small business.
So what do you choose . . .
I hope you choose Professional Network Marketer.